Tuesday, February 3, 2015

It's not fly fishing if it doesn't use snake guides

I recently saw another of the seemingly endless proclamations in a sub-forum targeted to tenkara - It ain't fly fishing. My initial inclination was to enter into the fray, but after second thought, decided not to participate. Of course there was the requisite attempt to post a "humorous" photo to hammer home their point
The one thing I tried to figure out - Why is it folks who claim to hate/detest fishing without snake guides actively seek out tenkara focused forums and discussion groups? I personally don't like brussel sprouts, I feel no need to seek out brussel sprouts recipe pages to tell other folks they shouldn't eat them. I guess maybe doing so somehow strokes these folks egos, making them feel some how superior that they are indeed true fly fishers. You know, the folks who tie on a strike indicator, clamp on a few split shot, and fish the "traditional" way. Out of the blue, I saw a quote which I think answered my question - Hanlon's razor is an adage, most commonly attributed to Robert J. Hanlon which is generally stated as: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

No comments:

Post a Comment