The consensus results can be summarized:
- develop a repertoire of many different presentations - or - always use the same one (dead drift (it’s the perfect presentation for dead caddis flies))
- shake the bushes and be prepared with a vest full of fly patterns for whatever you see - or – one generic fly properly presented will almost always work
- all the possible combinations and permutations of the above
What I find most interesting, the exact same conversations take place in the other forum topic I follow.
I want to start playing guitar, what should I do?
- learn to play scales - or - never study scales, just play songs
- start out playing classical, pop, jazz, bluegrass, finger style, with a pick, the blues
- buy a Martin/Gibson/Custom built - or – buy a $100 Epiphone/Yamaha
And at the end, the exact same answer results for both -
Go out and fish / listen to the music that is inside you.