Thursday, January 23, 2014

What goes around maybe comes back around



I went thru the cycle and am back where I started. 

I started out with a cheaply made Garcia fly rod with a cheap knock off of a Pflueger Medalist reel  fifty  years ago.  But guess what, I spent countless hours fishing, caught a bunch of fish, and have nothing but great memories of my childhood fishing exploits.  Over the course of the next 45 years, I accumulated a couple of tens of thousands of dollars worth of some very nice equipment.  And truth be told, I enjoyed doing that as well.

About five years back, I got hooked when I started to fish a fixed-length line system (aka tenkara if you will). Although I still owned all my nice stuff, I  found myself fishing a $12 crappie pole I bought at Walmart coupled with a line I had furled with nothing else than a bit of tippet and a fly. Not only was I catching fish, but every time I thought to check, I had a big smile on my face.  I’ve since update my crappie pole, and spend most of my time fishing an actual $50 tenkara rod.  It’s a joy to cast and fish.  I still spend a lot of time smiling when I’m around the water.

But you know, on occasion I still like to use a reel, and surprisingly enough, as often as not I grab my $25 Eagle Claw Featherlight. It a much nicer rod than I started out with 50 some years ago. I didn't know any better about equipment back when I started, but it didn't matter, it provided endless hours of fascination and enjoyment.  I fully enjoy fishing the Eagle Claw as well.

In point of fairness, I still appreciate my top drawer stuff, maybe more than before. I no longer long for equipment I don't have, but rather enjoy the stuff I do have.  I’ve been freed from lusting for all the new equipment I didn’t own, instead I really enjoy and am thankful for all the stuff I do have.  I no longer have a constant urge to daily scan web sites for new gear, nor does Cabela’s inexplicable draw me there on a weekly basis.

I enjoy fishing in a much different way, brand names and cost no longer matter, it’s just all about going out and enjoying the act of fishing.  It’s a bit hard to actually explain.  I don’t know if it is just another phase or not, I guess time will tell.

In the meantime, I wish you joy and happiness in your time afield.

No comments:

Post a Comment