Saturday, August 4, 2012

What do I need?

One of the most common questions I'm asked is - "Besides a rod and a line, what do I need to start fishing?"

One of the most appealing aspects of fishing a fixed-length line system is it's simplicity.  Simply put, all one needs is a bit of light mono to serve as a leader/tippet, and a fly. 

Even the fly box in the above photo is a bit of overkill.  Many folks, myself included only fishes one or two patterns.  You probably do want an extra fly or two of each pattern, in case you loose one.  But that's it.

I am a self confessed gadget junkie, so I must confess, I do carry significantly more than pictured above.
Here's a picture of my "kit" -

Although entirely optional, I also carry a fly removal gizmo, along with a rubber band that I use to refresh my fly when it gets wet and sodden.  I do use a small chest pack, to which I've attached a line clipper that I use to trim the tippet tag on the rare occasion that I need to tie on a new fly.

But that's it!


No comments:

Post a Comment